Voting

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Okay, here is the first attempt at including my family history with my blog. I am doing this for my own amusement, as well as for my family members whom I will inform that I am doing this, partially so I can share this information with the family.

These pictures are my great-grandmother, Manda Turner Shackelford Horn. Manda was born in Wright County, Missouri June 3,1882. She was the fourth daughter of George Washington Shackelford and Cloyana Ferdelia Williams. They moved to Hartville, Wright County, Missouri after the Civil War from Roane County, TN. They had 11 children.

Manda married Arthur Horn in 1902. He had come to the area from Louisiana. They had three daughters, one died at birth. The other two, Ruth and Vee moved with their parents to Idaho for Arthur to manage a ranch, and Manda to be the cook for the ranch hands. While there, both Manda and Ruth were stricken with the Spanish Influenza. Ruth died first,in October 1918, and the family returned to Missouri to be with family. While there, Manda died in January of 1919. Arthur then took his daughter, Vee, to California to try his hands in the oilfields of Kern County. There, Vee met the Wigginton family....and that led to ME!


Next up, some of the Wigginton information.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad, excited, tickled, elate that you started a blog! I can't wait to check in on you and your family...and also learn a little more about our family history. We love you and miss you...coming to NYC anytime soon? ;)

    ReplyDelete